Friday, July 15, 2005

Kitni bechain hoke tumse milii

On one of my frequent (yes, they are fairly regular in their occurrence now) visits to the loo in office, I took time to spend 2 minutes extra at the mirror. Looked me face up & decided I needed a wash. So did just that. Rubbed the face dry and walked back out. Lo and behold! The door is jammed. Looked through the glass and discovered there was one of them signboards on the outside that read : "Closed for Maintenance - Inconvenience regretted"

I try my luck at the door. Won't budge. So try banging a little, albeit in a shy sort of way cos its an office remember? Lots of people pass outside. Some lost in thought, some rummaging papers, some with cups-o-tea...but they all ignore my pleas for help. So I wait. Try the cell phone to call a colleague for help. Signal's low. Get a frantic call from boss. There's a meeting planned and Im not around. He can't hear me, hangs up. Signal's low. DARN!

As if in answer to my prayers, she comes swaying by. Green saree and red blouse. Smile on supari chewing lips almost mocking my state-o-affairs. The badge on her person tells me she is "Yellamma". Unlocks the door and in a raspy voice says, "Yen amma, yenaithu?!" (kya madum, kya hua) I just say a hurried thanks, "Aamele barthini" (Will come later). She laughs.

I hum on my way out ..."Kitni bechain hoke tumse milii, mujhko kya thii khabar ki main itni akeli..." Bipasha Basu wouldn't have found a more opportune time to sing that one!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rajesh Soundararajan said...

LOL
"Aamele barthini" and she would waiting for you..till u vist the loo... hahaha
U beter vist soon or she will YELL'amma' what is this!

Who ever invented cell phones - do not even let people shit in peace.

And as for Girish and ppl like him, chnage the venue of the meeting to the Loo... viola! he will be late as he will be locked outside ;-)

Finally u were not alone... there was the small one as well. Remember mega-deals are stuck in the loo... so u had a lifetime opportunity betwen mom-and-baby.

TC

July 15, 2005 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Arun Cavale said...

Lol!:-)

But i didnt understand why u thought it was a bad thing to happen...As a matter of principle, in my first job years ago, I used to lock myself up in the loo and sleep there....:-))

July 15, 2005 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Zingy said...

I had a different experience. I noticed a locked door inside the ladies' washroom. Something was fishy coz I couldnt sense any movement inside nor any shadows under the door! I knocked to check.. no reply!! "Somebody is dead in there!!" I scremed inside my head and rushed out to tell another lady in my cubicle. She asked me to show her and when we entered the wash room again the receptionist was unlocking the door using a sharp object.

Somebody had played a prank! It is easy to lock the door from the outside by just twisting the 'vacant' sign...and I learnt how. :-| There was nobody inside basically.

The receptionist had been summoned by another alert staff.

July 18, 2005 at 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home